An easy-to-make pie crust
cup three quarters
very cold unsalted butter
cup one third
ice cold water
1. In medium bowl, combine flour with salt. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in unsalted butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp. (15mL) of ice water at a time, until mixture just holds together. Do not over mix.
3. Gather pastry into bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
4. Roll out dough, transfer to 9 (23cm) pie shell. Flute edges and secure to sides to prevent shrinkage.
5. Use as directed in your favourite pie recipe.
Cooking a Filled Pie
6. When cooking a filled pie, bake pie 60-80 min or according to recipe cooking instructions.
To blind-bake your piecrust
7. Prick bottom and sides with a fork.
8. Place piece of parchment paper in bottom of pie shell. Fill with uncooked dry beans or pie weights.
9. Bake in 400°F (200°C) preheated oven for about 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, remove parchment paper and pie weights (if using), and cool completely.